Chipotle is an American fast food chain that specializes in tacos and burritos that are made to order in front of the customer.
When Chipotle analyzed their data, they found most of their delivery orders came from Gen Z. To drive good engagement beyond the transaction, they decided TikTok would be a great platform to reach this audience. And with Cinco de Mayo coming up, they could also spread awareness of free delivery for digital orders for the holiday.
That inspired the #ChipotleLidFlip challenge. They worked with content creator David Dobrik to encourage users to record themselves flipping a burrito bowl, and adding their own spin on it.
- The hashtag #ChipotleLidFlip has 329.2 million views to date (as of June 24, 2022).
- The TikTok campaign ended up driving loads of Chipotle app downloads and delivery orders, especially from a Gen Z audience
- Chipotle leveraged data to understand who was driving their delivery orders.
- Then they strategically chose TikTok to drive engagement because a lot of Gen Z is on TikTok.
- They partnered with very popular creators like David Dobrik, which allowed Chipotle to tap into large follower bases, especially younger audiences like Gen Z.
#MexicanPizzaTheMusical Taco Bell